Monday, March 16, 2009

Urinary Tract Infection and Constipation Free

I am not a water drinker. Believe it or not, there were times before where I only had a glass of water a day. But one day, I developed a urinary tract infection (UTI). When you have UTI you are required to drink a lot of liquid, most importantly water. Because of my UTI, I started to drink water as much as I could everyday. But that was only for few months after I had it. I keep forgetting to do what I needed to do. Or maybe, just plain lazy and irresponsible. I admit, the latter is the right reason.

I felt the worse when I had UTI recurrence a few weeks of my pregnancy. UTI could be a threat to the baby. But we had it remedied immediately with antibiotics prescribed by my doctor. I was better the day after. I read from a pregnancy book that when you have had UTI, there is a big chance that it gets triggered again when you become pregnant. Most pregnant women tend to develop UTI because the uterus lies above the bladder. As the baby grows, the uterus grows. This causes the blocking of the drainage of urine from the bladder; thus, developing an infection.

Like other pregnant women, I find it hard to get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet when mother nature calls. I've managed to do most of the time, but, there were just moments when I go back to sleep until my bladder feels like bursting that I urge myself to go in the toilet and leak. What a relief!

The benefits I get by drinking water are preventing UTI from coming back and avoiding constipation. Well, constipation is another unpleasant thing that is experienced during pregnancy. But when I started drinking more water, the less constipated or constipation-free I become. It's a great reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment