Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How to Introduce Children to the Internet

Guest post written by my friend Nancy Jameson

Personally I feel that a child should be fairly mature to be able to use the internet. Each child matures differently so each should be introduced at different times. There could possibly be two children the same age and only one of them may be ready to experience the internet. The only people that can tell if their children are ready for the internet are the parents. They know their children the best and know if they are able to trust them and if they are mature enough. Many people have hughes internet satellite or DSL/Cable internet. We have wireless in my household so it's very easy for a child to access the internet from anywhere around the house. I would make sure to surf the web or ask around at some of the computer companies to find out some good ways to set up child lock systems so that they will not be able to access it when you’re not home or only be able to access certain web-pages. I never give my child full access to the internet without me supervising. I guess you can say I've watched way too many television shows that showed way to many horrible things that could happen to a child.

Your child might not quite understand why you’re doing this at the moment, but you have to keep reminding yourself that you’re doing what's best for your child and one day they will understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment