Monday, August 3, 2009

Childbirth Class: A Good Experience

The 2-day childbirth class that my husband and I attended last Friday and Saturday at the Banner Gateway Hospital was a good experience. The instructor, in the person of Ms. Marlene Nielson, a registered nurse and has been in the practice for 24 years, was very lively and friendly. She tackled a lot of labor and delivery, and pregnancy subjects which are very informative to us. Subjects covered were:
  • body changes (anatomy & physiology)
  • emotional and relationship changes
  • true or false labor
  • phases and stages of labor
  • medical options and practices
  • lamaze breathing and relaxation
  • cesarean section
I learned that, although labor and delivery among each woman have similarities, there are no labor and delivery that are exactly the same. Each expectant mother has her own unique labor and delivery experience.

Accordingly, touch and massage help alleviate labor pains. I think this technique works with me because I love massage so much. I'm quite lucky because my husband knows how to massage and it's very soothing and relaxing.

My most favorite part was the breathing techniques and positions taught to us together with our support person during labor and pushing stages. We were taught to always breathe in through the nose, and breathe out through the mouth. The support person does the counting. I wished we had more breathing exercises.

There were a lot of things we learned from the class and I recommend all preggies and their support partners to take it. However, $70 fee is a little bit high. Wished hospitals offer this kind of classes with lower charge, if not free.

No comments:

Post a Comment