Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Using the Internet to Buy a Car

Thanks for the guest post by Carmen Roley

Okay, I’m going to let the cat out of the bag right away. I was adopted and my biological parents recently found me. This was exciting yet confusing and overwhelming at the same time. I’ve always wondered about them, but I never thought I would actually get to know them. It’s a surreal experience. My bios are not together anymore. My bio dad lives in Montana and my bio mom lives in North Carolina. I actually live in North Carolina as well, but three hours away from where she lives.

Since this whole experience was so shocking to me, I decided to take it slow. I didn’t want to give them my phone number. For one, it would feel weird talking to them prior to meeting them. And two, I didn’t want them to get into the habit of calling the house all the time. Therefore, I decided to communicate with both of them through my satellite internet in Montana connection. This proved to be a good decision. She e-mails often, which is nice, but it also means she would call often if she had my phone number. He doesn’t write as often, but when he does write, the e-mails are lengthy and detailed. This is actually kind of cool because I get to digest all the information prior to responding, unlike a phone call. It's amazing what wireless internet providers are capable of. I'm also thankful for such great rural internet providers so that my parents can talk to me when they want to.

I have plans to meet both of them soon – separately. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment