Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Third OBGYN Appointment: Placenta Previa

March 20, 2009 (17 weeks)

I had my third appointment with my OB/GYN last Friday. By the way, my health provider is Oasis OBGYN. The doctor who attended me this time was Dr. Shelly Messer. I like her. She seemed nice and friendly. She's soft-spoken, and smiled often (which I like). I felt at ease with her.

Anyway, they got my ultrasound result submitted by Dr. Russell Carnes from the Fetal & Women's Center of Arizona. Everything looked great when it comes to the baby's health and development. My husband and I couldn't be more thankful that we have a healthy baby.

On the submitted ultrasound report, they found out that my placenta is blocking my cervix. This is going to be a problem because it will cause as a roadblock for the baby to come out during delivery. My husband and I were advised not to have intercourse, until the 26 weeks where I will have another ultrasound. Dr. Messer said that during my next ultrasound, they will find out if my placenta have shifted (which usually happens as the uterus grows), then, everything will be alright. She added that if the placenta doesn't shift and remains blocking my cervix, I am going to have a CS delivery (God forbids!).

Today, I researched online what was the complication all about. I found out that it is called placenta previa. It can cause light or severe vaginal bleeding. A pregnant woman who has "total placenta previa" undergoes CS delivery. Usually pregnant women with this complication is advised for a bed rest or abstain from sexual intercourse. So far in my case, the doctor did not advise me for a bed rest. Just the latter.

See illustration of placenta previa.

No comments:

Post a Comment